Monday, August 10, 2009

Being for the benefit of new visitors

So … Christopher Bird (nom du blogue*: MightyGodKing) has proven that his legendary wrath is matched only by his generosity, because he’s allowed me to become one of the new lot of guest posters on his site.

In case anyone has decided to follow a link back here (which, I imagine, is very much like attending a medium-large Hollywood party and then tagging along with a minor television personality back to his studio apartment), here’s what the deal is with this blog.

WHO AM I?
My name is Justin Zyduck. I’m 25 and live in Wisconsin. I am a writer, but the kind that does not get paid because he has not been professionally published (Note: this is most of us). I am a dude who is also a married dude.

WHAT’S THE TITLE OF THIS BLOG MEAN?
The Adventures of Wyatt Earp in 2999 is a comic book written by me, and drawn by my old pal Josh Lynch. A short synopsis of the idea is on the sidebar under “ABOUT THIS BLOG,” and you can read two “episodes” of it here. I have detailed what goes into the writing process here.

We shopped this comic around to several publishers and didn’t get much in the way of response (although Josh told me some guys from BOOM! thought it was kind of cool). We’re well aware that the format is problematic. There were plans to continue Wyatt as a webcomic, but it’s really time-consuming on the art side, especially when there is no upfront money in it and we both have day jobs.

The comic is unofficially on hiatus.

SO WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO READ ON THIS BLOG, THEN?
I never really intended to have a blog of my own, but with the comic on hold, I found myself with one. Most of what goes on here falls into one of two categories.

Superhero Theory is a series that used to be weekly, and which hopefully will be again soon. Here’s the mission statement, but basically I really love superhero comics, and I think really hard about them (to my social and professional detriment, I am sure).

Sideburns is my "lo-fi webcomic," and it's semi-autobiographical (meaning: mostly just the funny bits). I’ve always loved comic strips and used to draw them all the time as a kid, but as I got more interested in writing, I got less interested in drawing. So I decided, as an experiment, to try doing a weekly webcomic to see if I could hack it. Short answer: Not really, and now it’s updated less than regularly.

I also wrote a long (also: rambly) series on the live-action Batman movies called Seven Films for Seven Batmen (introduction here). It is notable, if for no other reason, for a spirited defense of Batman Forever, and the assertion that Batman Begins is the second-worst Batman film. Heresey!

HOW OFTEN DO YOU UPDATE THIS BLOG?
Time was, there was a new Sideburns every Monday and a new Superhero Theory every Friday. Those were good days; you guys shoulda been there, man. I have mentioned that I am a writer (should that be in quotes? I am a “writer”); I am working on a novel. I’m currently more than two-thirds through a first draft, so I’m buckling down on that. But if more people start reading this thing, maybe I’d better update more, huh?

ANYTHING ELSE?
I am a “musician and songwriter” in the same way that I am a “writer.” My brother (who is actually a talented musician, and not just somebody who can lay down a decent keyboard track if given enough takes) and I wrote, recorded, and produced an album a few years ago under the name Morrison Bass. There is a woefully neglected MySpace page here, as the band is, like so many other things, on an ill-defined hiatus.

The recordings betray our inexperience somewhat, as we were largely figuring out how to use home recording equipment as we went long, but I still think all of the songs we laid to tape (or digital file, as the case may be) are pretty damn good. There are CDs 4 cheep if anybody cares, but I will not hold it against you if you do not.

I would be remiss if I did not include: My wife, and her Etsy store.

I WOULD LIKE TO GIVE YOU MONEY OR POSSIBLY BE YOUR BEST FRIEND. HOW CAN I CONTACT YOU?
E-mail me at morrisonbass@yahoo.com. Or I’ll be here on this blog, or whenever I can post at MGK without overstaying my welcome.




---------------
*-This is not actually French.**
**-I don’t think it is, at least.

No comments: